- The top right menu was re-organized into categories since the previous design was beginning to grow too long.
- Improvements to the ui for scientists to leave comments on a neuron.
- Fixing some of the touch based controls on iOS devices
- Fix bug where traces are sometimes misaligned with the neuron on initial load
- Fix bug where it was possible to add traces to a z coordinate that was greater than the max number of z slice in the images. This created traces that were not visible in the 3D neuron view and were impossible to delete.
- Fix bug where 3D volume is rendered even while you are in CtD mode, which should only show a single image slice
- Fix issue where save message where being sent too frequently
- Fix issue where edges sometimes did not render in the tutorials
- Bug Fixes:
- While in the middle of creating a new CtD line that started at consensus, if a consensus update came in before you finalized, your traces may have had edges incorrectly placed.
- Fix resolved comments not showing all the time. They would disappear when the user clicked any comment and coming back when they added a new comment
- If a startup tip that has a scroll bar was scrolled down, and then the user switched to another startup tip that can also be scrolled, the scroll bar wouldn’t reset back to the top
- The options menu is now z-ordered above the tutorial messages
- Sometimes when you made a connection to a consensus node and the consensus was deleted, the client would rendered incorrect edges.
- You sometimes could not progress past ‘First Traces’ tutorial stage. Traces were not getting translated into points.
- Adjust chat box styling
- Added ability for scientists to hide resolved comments to reduce information on game screen
- A new menu setting that allows for the game to stretch to fill the browser width. This will allow for greater area for viewing the neuron and neuron. Note that this might exasperate performance issues so it is recommended this setting is only changed if your computer can already run the game smoothly.
- Changes to the camera to allow zooming and rotation of the 3D volume using touch controls on mobile devices. The controls are pinching to zoom in and out and two finger drag to rotate.
- Fix issue on touch devices where comments and hotspots were not selectable.
- Experimental feature where some users can be granted permissions to leave public comments on a neuron that other players can see. These permissions for now will just be granted to small number of players.
- Bugs Fixes
- Fix issues with rendering where it was redrawing too much of the scene unnecessarily. This is hopefully improve performance in most situations
- Removed some code libraries and improve how they are fetched to reduce some of the initial resource loading time.
- Significant modification to how Connect-the-Dots gestures function. There is now a concept of a selected node which is visualized as a gray square. Any clicks in empty space will extend from that node. To extend from a separate part of the trace, you need to manually select a different portion. Instead of only right clicking, you can click on any existing node to finalize the trace.
- Resolve issue where Virtual Finger will add nodes to a zero layer that makes it impossible to interact with or remove them.
- Improve the error message in the in-game registration page when an email is already in use
- Resolve issue on iOS, where after clicking on a comment, the description UI does not render correctly
- Resolve issue where an unnecessary 3D volume image was being loaded in the tutorials
- Resolve issue where tutorial messages did not point to the correct location when the window size changed or the game camera is re-positioned.
- Applied compression to some of the client application files, reducing their download size and hopefully the time it takes for the game to load during startup.
- A magnifier has been added to allow for more precise touch controls on mobile platforms. This feature is in beta and may have issues; at the moment, we’re aware of a bug causing incorrect behavior on iOS.
- Backend work on the neuron images for upcoming exciting features!
- Significant overhaul to the tutorials to both make them faster to complete as well as more accurate to the behavior while playing a normal neuron. Some of the tools/buttons are unlocked more gradually and have a short description introducing them.
- Within the tutorial sequence, tooltips should now point to the appropriate location even if the browser window resizes or the game camera is reoriented.
- To make comments easier to see, they have been given a solid green fill while in both 2D and 3D view mode.
- While at the game, clicking the links on the top navigation bar (which has categories like Community, Learn, Challenges, etc) will open a new tab instead of navigating you away from the game.
- Resolve a mixed content error that occurs when a new user attempts to register via the form pop-up that appears on top of the game. This prevent the user from logging in automatically after registering.
- While in the 2D map view, if you zoom the camera far in enough, points and nodes are rendered. This should allow better viewing of disconnected portions. It will also be used for future trace features.
- We have removed the scan button as we felt is did not provide any additional functionality that could not already be handled by the z-slice slider.
- Resolve issue where performing an undo while in Connect-the-Dots mode did not restore the z-slice value of the node before the one that was undone.
- While in Connect-the-Dots mode, clicking on a highlighted node (colored orange) will always unselect it. Previously there was an idea of clicking on the same node to ‘commit’ the new segments. The notion of committing a trace in that fashion has been removed.
- While in Connect-the-Dots mode, ending a segment at an existing node will now no longer highlight that end node. This means you will no longer have to click that node again in order to start a new trace or connection. We felt that the common situation when you end a trace at an existing node was to immediately work on a different area rather than branch off from that existing node.
- While using Connect-the-Dots, your working score will now increase everytime you add a new node instead of waiting for a ‘commit’ of the entire segment.
- Change some of the text in the tutorial levels.
- Fix issue where using the arrow keys while in 3D mode would cause the 3D volume to shift out of view immediately.
- Fix issue where Auto-Z Trace setting was not being saved after refreshing the page or reloaded
- Fix issue where when Auto-Z was turned off, the z-slice would still sometimes shift when using Connect-the-Dots.
- Adjust color and background on score ui for better contrast
- Added a basic quest system. Quests are tasks that a player can complete during the course of tracing by using specific tools or tracing enough of the neuron. Currently, their primary purpose is to help introduce the player to the game during the initial tutorial sequences, we hope to expand it and make it more engaging in the future for more experienced players.
- Making preparations for a future feature that will allow for user to trace while in 2D mode. Right now this will not be enabled, but hope to make it available soon.
- Bug Fixes
- Fix regression where Auto-Z still was not being saved and still causing the z-slice to shift by one sometimes even when the setting is off
- Fix warping of the neuron image that can occur if you zoom the camera inside the 3D volume
- Fix long standing regression where if you returned to 2D view from 3D, the 2D map was completely zoomed out rather than focusing in on the area you were previously zoomed into while in 3D.
- Added a brief tutorial sequence that introduces consensus and consensus scoring.
- Bug Fixes
- Fix issue where the score ui can bleed over and overlap with the quest button.
- Fix issue where tracing is incorrectly offset from the cursor under certain situations after a canvas resize.
- Fix issue where the Virtual Finger button under certain situations can disappear after clicking on a hotspot.
- Added special gesture images that show if you are playing the tutorials while on a mobile device.
- Added mobile specific instructions if playing tutorials on a mobile device
- Bug Fixes
- Fix issue where the magnifier trace helper was not displaying on iOS
- Fix issue where in game registration page was not scrollable on iOS
- Fix issue where if there is a network interruption, the web browser needs to refresh to continue. Now it reconnects automatically
- Fix issue where sometimes tooltips would jitter and reposition incorrectly
- Fix issue where hotspots could not be selected on mobile devices
- Fix issue where going to polyline tutorial incorrectly still shows hotspot bonus icons from the regular neuron the player was at
- Fix issue where an empty black box for the score appears at the start of the very first tutorial level
- Make quest button have hand icon on hover
- Make it so tooltips hug the boundary of the canvas instead of disappearing completely
- Make mouse-hover over caption on various buttons show up on touch devices via a press and hold gesture.
- Adjust position of tooltips on hotspots.
- Bug Fixes
- Fix issue where the tool buttons on the left panel can collapse together and overlap if the screen is made too small.
- Fix issue where players who registered several months ago and did not finish the tutorials could get stuck in an old tutorial scenario
- Fix issue where data the client sends to the game server get dropped if there is a connection issue on the server side.
- Fix issue where virtual finger can stall for several seconds and become unresponsive in certain situations
- Improvements to virtual finger algorithm to make it create smoother curves.
- Adjust help page with updated controls for mobile devices and removed controls that were no longer in use.
- A small batch of achievements have finally been added. You can view the ones you have unlocked by going to your player info page. You can go to it by clicking your username near the upper right hand portion of the screen. Currently only neurons that have been closed will contribute to the progress of the current achievements, so there might be delays before they are actually unlocked.
- If you have unlocked an achievement since the last time you have loaded a neuron, a small notification will appear indicating what the achievement was. Clicking on it will take you to your player page.
- While in 3D mode, if you hover over node and zoom in and out, the camera will stay centered on the node.
- Make hotspots filled in so they are easier to see in the 2D map
- Added ability to render certain hotspots as a polygon instead of just a rectangle. Specifically, hotspots are created around regions where multiple people have traces but no consensus trace was formed.
- Added groundwork for a future new tracing feature!
- Bug Fixes
- Remove drop shadow around game container
- Hotspots where recent work (someone traced in the last few hours) was detected will now have a glimmer animation.
- Hotspots where there has not been activity for several days will no longer be visible to reduce some visual clutter.
- For trackpad users, a new mode has been added so the trackpad can more closely match gestures on a mobile device. For example, using a pinch and spread motion to zoom in and out. To enable this mode go to the settings menu at the top right and go to ‘General’->‘Trackpad Mode’.
- Bug Fixes
- On mobile devices, fix a flickering issue with the magnifier while using Connect-the-Dots.
- Fix issues with upcoming 2D map tracing feature.
- Undo a change where hotspots disappeared after a while, always have them visible.
- Reduce opacity of hotspots so they are a little less distracting
- Bug Fixes
- Fix issue where if you ended a trace on an existing node using virtual finger and then create a new segment with virtual finger elsewhere, it created an edge to that previous existing node.
- Fix bug where hotspot visibility was not saved to player preferences
- Hide hotspot when tracing while in tutorials.
- Have comments and hotspots not be visible for new players initially, they are introduced later on with a simple tooltip message.
- Fix issue where disconnection hotspots were not visible if no tracing hotspots were present.
- We have reduced the number of hotspots that indicate tracing areas close to forming consensus to at most 5 per neuron. This will hopefully greatly reduce clutter and allow you only focus on the hotspots that have the highest concentration of traces.
- Bug Fixes
- Fix issue where sometimes it is not possible to click on or hover over a node inside a hotspot due to hit test issues while in 3D mode.
- Fix issue where the hit test bounds of the brightness slider was too large.
- Fix issue where the blue preview traces when using virtual finger would not be cleared if your pointing device left the bounds of the game window.
- Add keyboard short cut to zoom in and out in the 3D view by using the ‘+’ and ‘-’ keys
- On mobile devices the gestures to zoom and rotate will center around a highlighted node if there is one.
- Added ability to invert the neuron image while in 2D view
- Bug Fixes
- Fix issue where the scoreboard at the top right corner did not update when consensus updates were received.
- Resize tutorial animations on mobile devices based on pixel resolution of the devices.
- Each neuron will progress through different game stages over time. Each stage will have different score modifiers applied to encourage creating traces in non obvious areas.
- Add stage name to score ui to indicate score bonuses